Become a tutor
Do you want to tutor newcomer students in Chicago Public Schools? Check out the requirements and current tutoring opportunities below. If you are interested in becoming a GirlForward in-school tutor, please email your resume and preferred school placement to email@example.com. (Tutoring is currently only offered through GirlForward Chicago; check back later in 2017 for updates about Austin.)
Volunteer Eligibility Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Reside in the Chicagoland area.
- Be willing to adhere to all GirlForward program policies and procedures.
- Must believe in the power of adolescent girls to create positive change in their communities and the world.
- Must be respectful of and interested in different cultures, religions, languages, and lifestyles.
- Have a clean criminal history.
- Have never been accused, arrested, charged, or convicted of child abuse, neglect, or molestation.
- Does not use illicit drugs.
- Does not use alcohol or other controlled substances in an excessive or inappropriate manner.
- Volunteers are willing to pay for a $10 background check. Instructions will be provided by GirlForward staff. If you have already submitted a background check with GF, you do not have to resubmit.
- Volunteers working in CPS schools must follow through with the CPS volunteer screening process.
- New volunteers must attend a GirlForward training.
- Must commit to at least 4 months of volunteering (or school semester).
Current Tutoring Opportunities
Sullivan High School
Support English language learners in Roger’s Park with homework, test prep, and conversational English during their lunch period.
Tutoring Shift: Tuesdays 10:45-12:30pm
Start Date: January 17, 2017
End Date: June 13, 2017 (Flexibility possible for college students)
Roosevelt High School
Volunteer in Albany Park after school to support students on homework, test prep, and conversational English.
Tutoring Shift: Wednesdays 3-4:30pm
Start Date: January 18, 2017
End Date: June 14, 2017
Mather High School
Volunteer in West Roger’s Park after school to support students on homework, test prep, and conversational English.
Tutoring Shift: Tuesdays 3-4:30pm
Start Date: January 24, 2017
End Date: June 13, 2017 (End date negotiable for college students)