Become a mentor
GirlForward is seeking dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers for our Mentoring Program, which matches women mentors with adolescent refugee girls. As a mentor, you will be paired with a mentee in grades 9-12 and will meet with her for at least two hours per week to talk about school, relationships, and careers, and to do fun and engaging activities together. As a mentor, you will make a one-year commitment to GirlForward and will receive individual and group trainings to prepare you for this role.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Commit to mentoring a high school girl for at least two hours per week for one year
- Meet with mentee to discuss subjects related to GirlForward’s Four W’s: Wellness, Wisdom, Wallet, World, as part of GirlForward’s Mentoring Program curriculum
- Attend group mentoring trainings
- Communicate with mentee’s family in regards to mentoring schedule
- Maintain communication with GirlForward staff
- Complete monthly mentor evaluations
- Be an active member of the GirlForward community
- Must be female
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have access to reliable transportation (public transit/car)
- Must be respectful of and interested in different cultures, religions, languages and lifestyles
- Passionate about working with youth, especially adolescent girls
- Must have at least a 2-year degree
- Fluency in English, knowledge of additional languages not required
- Comfortable talking about issues related to self-esteem, women’s health, relationships, high school involvement, careers, finding a part-time job, basic finances, community resources, and community service
- Must believe in the power of adolescent girls to create positive change in their communities and the world!
The process to become a GirlForward mentor includes five steps:
1) Attend an orientation session. **You MUST attend an orientation session in order to be considered for a mentoring position.**
2) Submit an application.
3) Complete an in-person interview.
4) If invited after an interview, submit references.
5) Complete a background check.
If, following the screening process, you are invited to become a mentor with GirlForward, you will be paired with a mentee in August 2017.