Become a mentor!
GirlForward is seeking dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers for our Mentoring Program, which matches women mentors with girls resettled through the refugee resettlement program. As a mentor, you will be paired with a mentee in grades 9-12 or a recent graduate and will meet with her for at least two hours per week to talk about school, relationships, and careers, and to do fun and engaging activities together. As a mentor, you will make a one-year commitment to GirlForward and will receive trainings to prepare you for this role.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Commit to mentoring a high school girl for at least two hours per week for one year
- Meet with mentee to discuss subjects related to GirlForward’s Four W’s: Wellness, Wisdom, Wallet, World, as part of GirlForward’s Mentoring Program curriculum
- Must be an ally to GF girls and comfortable talking about issues such as race, religion, culture, socioeconomic status, academics, health, relationships, community engagement and others
- Set and work toward achieving goals with mentee
- Attend group mentoring trainings
- Communicate with mentee’s family and community
- Maintain communication with GirlForward staff
- Complete monthly mentor evaluations
- Be an active member of the GirlForward community
- Must identify as female
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have access to reliable transportation (public transit/car)
- Must have at least a 2-year degree
- Experience working with youth, tutoring, or mentoring preferred
- Fluency in English, knowledge of additional languages including Arabic, Swahili, Burmese and others highly preferred
- Must have a strong commitment to social justice and community engagement
- Must believe in the practice of cultural humility and critically analyze their own identity, culture, power, and belief system in relation to the community
- Must believe in the power of adolescent girls to create positive change in their communities and the world!
- Women who identify as immigrants, refugees and/or women of color are strongly encouraged to apply!
The process to become a GirlForward mentor includes five steps:
1) Attend an orientation session. **You MUST attend an orientation session in order to be considered for a mentoring position.**
2) Submit an application.
3) Complete an in-person interview.
4) If invited after an interview, submit references.
5) Complete a background check.
If, following the screening process, you are invited to become a mentor with GirlForward, you will be paired with a mentee in August 2018.
Mentor in Austin
Sign up for an Austin information session!
Questions about the Austin program? E-mail Arielle Levin at email@example.com.